Médecins Sans Frontières, (MSF)
Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. In Malawi, MSF works in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and the local community in integrated HIV/AIDS in Chiradzulu District and Cervical Cancer projects Blantyre districts.
MSFF is looking for its Blantyre Office:
MEDICAL DOCTOR GYNAECOLOGIST – 1 POSITION
Workplace : Blantyre and Chiradzulu
Type of contract : 1 Year Fixed Term contract with possible extension
Start date : January 2023
Main purpose of the position
Malawi has the highest cervical cancer incidence (76/100,000) and mortality rate (50/100,000) in the world, representing an estimated 3,684 new cases and 2,314 deaths annually. Eastern and Southern Africa, including Malawi, also has one of the highest HIV prevalence, which contributes significantly to the cancer incidence, as HIV positive women are significantly more likely to develop cervical cancer when infected with HPV. Despite ongoing efforts to provide cancer screening and treatment services by the Ministry of Health and international organizations, the care coverage remains low in comparison to the scale of the need in the country.
MSF, in response to this need, is implementing a unique comprehensive oncology project in Malawi. The project aims to encompass all components of gynaecologic oncology care (mostly cervical cancers) from primary to tertiary prevention through the collaborative work of a multidisciplinary medical team embedded at the Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital (QECH) and community health centres in the Blantyre and Chiradzulu districts in Malawi.
MSF is seeking a gynaecologist to join our rapidly growing cervical cancer project. The gynaecologist work in close collaboration with surgeons specialized in gynaecological cancers both national and international to provide pre and post-operative follow-up, and treat precancerous lesions (LEEP, cone biopsy, etc…)
Provide health care related to gynecology and especially cervical cancer to patients, including prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Ensure the implementation of MSF clinical policies, tools, guidelines and protocols related to gynecology and onco gynecology in order to minimize clinical risk and to extend best reproductive practices.
In collaboration with other medical colleagues, carry out the collection of quantitative gynecological data and ensure exhaustive use of management tools in order to improve gynecological results and to share knowledge among other field specialists.
Plan and supervise the HR associated processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and internal/external communication) of the gynecological staff in order to ensure both an efficient sizing and the amount of knowledge required, to improve people’s capabilities and their active participation in influencing the targeted population using preventive practices. This will be done in close coordination with the HR department.
Supervise the maintenance and running of the gynecological equipment and drug consumption, preparing new orders when required and ensuring its rational use as well as that pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated and available. This will be done in cooperation with the pharmacist and logistic staff, the management
- The gynecologist will perform the following clinical activities in MSF cervical cancer OPD/IPD based in QECH
- Provide gynaecological outpatient and inpatient care for onco gynaecological patients
- Participate as core member of the multidisciplinary team meetings
- Participate in the on-call rotation and respond to emergencies
- Vaginal and abdominal ultrasound for cancer staging
- Colposcopy (visual and microscopic appearance and differentials for malignant, premalignant, and benign)
- Biopsy, and curettage (cervical, vulva, vagina, endometrial)
- Ablative procedures and conization (including but not limited to LEEP)
- Identify and referral of patient for chemotherapy, post chemotherapy evaluation, referral for palliative care
- Post treatment follow-up of patients for…
- Recurrence/ metastasis assessment
- Complications of therapy (including menopause, oedema, etc.)
- Gynaecology on-calls and response to oncologic emergencies or complications (spinal cord compression, sepsis, transfusion, etc…)
- Associated clinical work
- Paracentesis, thoracentesis, sexually transmitted infections, termination of pregnancy, assessment/treatment for abdominal pain, bleeding, discharge
- Ascites, bowel obstruction, renal failure, anaemia, thromboembolism management
- Performing pre- and post- surgical ward rounds and follow up of patients
- Work on OPD, IPD and OT roster, when needed cover gap of onco surgeon
- Work to ensure that oncology care respects the international clinical guidelines and patients’ best interest as best as possible given the resources and context and help to oversee the quality and safety of medical services
- Work harmoniously with onco gynecology surgeons to take responsibility in the day-to-day management of patients in the wards and the outpatient clinics by performing comprehensive patient assessment, staging, management, treatment, review, and follow-up of patients under MSF services
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood. Ensuring that patients’ wishes and desires for their care are respected as much as possible, given the resources available.
- Providing surgical, bedside, and in-class (theoretical) training to medical students, interns, residents, clinical officers, nurses, registrars, and other healthcare professionals when needed
- Assist in the development of clinical protocols and SOPs relating to the medical activities with the coordination (Medical Focal Point and Medical Coordinator) and technical referents, and ensure they are implemented and followed on site.
- Ensure medical data collection for patient management and project monitoring and evaluation by record patient information in Electronic Medical Records timely and correctly.
Completion of Medical Education and Clinical Training in Gynaecology (essential)
Knowledge and/or Training in HIV, TB, Malaria, and STIs would be an asset due to the high prevalence.
Essential at least 2 years certified work experience in Gynaecology
Registered with the medical council of Malawi
Fluency in English, local working language would be an asset.
Essential computer literacy (word, excel)
Teamwork and Cooperation
Why Work With US:
- You will have an opportunity of being coached by Onco Surgeons from the European Society of Gynecological Oncology (ESGO)
- Possibility of learning ultrasound cancer staging
- Possibility to work with district hospital on training of Loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP)
- Working with multidisciplinary team specialized on cancer care such as onco gynecologist, palliative care specialist, oncologist and with a possibility of having certified training opportunities.
How to apply
Documents to provide:
Candidates are expected to submit their Cover letter, Updated CV, ID Copy and relevant certificates to:
Human Resources Manager
Médecins sans Frontières France
Po Box 2736
Blantyre – Malawi
Or through Email to:
E-mail address: email@example.com with in subject: GYNAECOLOGIST, Full Name (Indicate only the Position and Your Full Name as part of the Subject Line of the email).
Deadline for submission of application: 31st December 2022
NOTE: Please clearly indicate the POSITION TITLE AND YOUR FULL NAME on the application. Letters, CVs and any documentation included in application package will not be returned. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. MSF is an equal opportunity employer: all applicants will be equally considered under the same criteria and expectations. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. MSF does not charge any application/recruitment or training fees: if ever you are requested to pay any amount to process your application or access employment with MSF, do not pay and please inform the MSF administration on email: firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible